You visit Kota Kinabalu and without any plans of Mount Kinabalu climb, that is certainly not possible. The East Malaysian state of Sabah houses the highest peak in South-East Asia, on the island of Borneo & one of the favorite things to do in Kota Kinabalu is to climb mount Kinabalu. It is believed that it is not a very cumbersome task to climb this peak, obviously besides the apparent need of mental and physical health. Hence justifiably called the highest climber-friendly mountain in South East Asia.
There’s a lot to mount Kinabalu climb, then just a physical trek or climb, which includes discovering your spiritual self, bewildered by the unimaginable panoramic views which are sure to take your breath away. Towering above the clouds, 13,435 feet (4095 meters) above sea level, the view is certainly worth a watch. The climber certainly does feel accomplished when they conquer the mountain and it can be a truly exhilarating experience if carried out with the necessary skill, knowledge and preparation.
“It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” —Edmund Hillary
Mount Kinabalu Climb
It is good to do a research and learn from the experience of fellow climbers before starting your journey of Mount Kinabalu climb. We have sum up some of the tips & advice for Mt Kinabalu climb below.
Do you need to be a pro climber?
The very essence of this attraction of climbing Mount Kinabalu, is the fact that despite it being an uphill task, it need not only be done by professional mountain climbers. Tourists from all around the world, whether they are seasonal travellers, a nature freak, a mountain climber or maybe one of us, in the quest for a challenging, yet a totally unique and mind boggling experience are all equally welcome to undertake this journey- sure to be one of its kind. Surely it requires stamina and will power to remain consistent in your efforts till you you finish mount Kinabalu climb. Mount Kinabalu, is certainly one which beginners can opt to give their newly founded passion and interest a boost.
Things to do before climbing Mount Kinabalu
Below are some recommended things to do before starting your journey of the Mt Kinabalu climb.
- Educate yourself majorly about climbing Mount Kinabalu in general, along with Sabah and Malaysia as a whole. This could include gaining the necessary information about easily accessible areas, the various routes, stopovers or more appropriately hire a guide.
- Research and survey on the most hospitable accommodations in the vicinity, comparing rates offered by different hotels and their services as per your preference. This will equip you with making the most well-informed decision, so that your adventure is a truly memorable one. This will save you the cost of regretting later, of paying for things that were not worth it, as budget is also of prime concern.
- It goes unsaid that the necessary amenities be carried along with you while climbing Mount Kinabalu, that will assist you along the journey. Obviously it is no small feat, conquering a mountainous terrain, but it can truly be made a fun-filled and lucrative experience, if undertaken with sound planning and sufficient relevant information.
Mount Kinabalu Climb Preparation
In order to prepare yourself for climbing Mt Kinabalu, below are some of the items you will need along the journey.
- Water-undoubtedly an absolute necessity, a minimum of 3 liters is suggested if you do not want to refill with boiled water.
- Carry energy giving eatables with you.
- Warm clothing to face the unpredictable weather of a rainstorm.
- Necessary hand and footwear to adapt to the rugged terrain and handle the trekking equipment, such as a rough guide-ropes.
- Extra pairs of apparel.
- A head torch with spare batteries.
- Sunblock and other protective cosmetics or clothing that you can possibly think of.
- Last but not the least, your camera, to capture the wonderful moments.
Best time to Climb Mount Kinabalu
Keeping a check on the latest climatic and weather trends, will certainly help you climb Mount Kinabalu with much greater ease, making your adventure totally breathtaking and totally exotic. The best time to climb Mount Kinabalu is from Feb through March and April when it’s off season for monsoons. From late October to January, it is highly inappropriate to take up this journey due to peak monsoon season. The remaining months are under your discretion whether you decide to go in those months or not.
The mount Kinabalu climb is an activity full of adventure, thrill & fun. If you have climbed the peak and would like to share your experience, please do so by adding comments below.